Tuesday 27 May 2014

"Study of a Still-Life"

This is a small study of a still-life with mushrooms and home-made bread. You may have noticed that there is a link between these nice firm mushrooms and this crunchy bread with uneven surface. The link is that they are more or less round or a part of a sphere. And because sphere is somehow a symbol of perfection, it made me think about this beautiful quote from The Last Samurai. Do you remember? Katsumoto said: "The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life". And later with his dying breath he said: "Perfect... They are all... perfect...". Everything is perfect, because everything is unique. Everything is beautiful... Everything is divine...



"Study of a Still-Life", 10x14cm, pencil on paper

14 comments:

  1. Hi Marielle,

    Love the still life of the mushroom and bread.
    Also how beautiful the quote is of the perfect blossom and will write that in my journal.
    Enjoy your week and thanks for visiting me.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, Carolyn :) I love that quote, too. It is one of the things that help me shape my life.

      Delete
  2. Love the sketch and love the quote - they go side by side :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saucy, thank you so much. I'm glad I could bring it back.

      Delete
  3. The mushrooms in particular are fantastic- something about the shape and positioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did spend a lot of time arranging it and choosing the right spot to draw it from. I'm glad that you like it :)

      Delete
  4. I love still life pictures! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazingly talented painter! This looks like a photograph, you captured it perfectly. And that quote is so wonderful and so so true: Everything is perfect in its uniqueness. Us included! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! It's something really worth remembering, isn't it.
      I'm happy that you like my work, Beate. Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work--and thank you for the quote--it fits your work beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Audrey. It's really nice to hear that.

      Delete
  7. I remember that quote - simple words that convey everything. An outstanding drawing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine :) It is one of the quotes that I keep deep in my heart.

      Delete